streams

streams

Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Defining Greatness

“Whoever wants to be great must become a servant.” (Matthew 20:26 MSG) 

How do you define greatness? 

Personally, I admire people with characteristics that I aspire to have: Good parents, devoted spouses, endurance athletes, expressive writers,  those who are virtuous, self-disciplined, intelligent, articulate, kind, witty, consistent, authentic, impactful, talented, etc. 

Who would you say is the greatest of your friends? Why?

When it comes to my personal acquaintances, I define greatness differently. One of the greatest people I know has a servant heart. When she sees a need, she fills it--even when it is inconvenient for her. She doesn’t worry about whether she can do a job well enough. She makes herself available and does whatever she can. In a crisis situation, I would prefer to spend time with someone like her than an accomplished athlete or writer. From a worldly perspective, selflessness may not be considered great. But in personal relationships, goodness and compassion are extraordinarily impressive.


No comments:

Post a Comment