streams

streams

Monday, May 30, 2022

Forgiveness Is Key


“Forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who sin against us. And don’t let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from the evil one.” (Matthew 6:12-13 NLT)

I am a skilled grudge keeper. I don’t forget anything, so it is hard for me to overlook bad behavior. I keep a tally of wrongs committed against me and charge interest. Needless to say, forgiveness does not come naturally to me. When I do feel merciful to anyone who has hurt me or my loved ones, I know the source is supernatural. It is as miraculous as if I, a short person who can barely jump a few inches off the ground, were to suddenly develop the ability to slam dunk a basketball. 

“Forgiveness is the key that unlocks the door of resentment and the handcuffs of hatred. It is a power that breaks the chains of bitterness and the shackles of selfishness." (Corrie Ten Boom)

While suffering is universal, individual responses vary. There are those who become sensitive to the vulnerability in others and develop more compassion and empathy. However, some people turn bitter and resentful in the face of adversity. They blame others for their troubles and feel the need to spread pain. Their experiences seem to trigger a covetousness for more of everything. Forgiveness is the key difference between these two paths. It is the antidote to the poison of resentment. It unlocks the shackles of hatred, bitterness, and selfishness. Like all other graces, it is a supernatural gift. 

Father, forgive us and help us to forgive others.


No comments:

Post a Comment