streams

streams

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Active Clothes

(parts of this post were written for Romans Study)

“We can’t afford to waste a minute, must not squander these precious daylight hours in frivolity and indulgence, in sleeping around and dissipation, in bickering and grabbing everything in sight. Get out of bed and get dressed! Don’t loiter and linger, waiting until the very last minute. Dress yourselves in Christ, and be up and about!” (Romans 13:11-14 MSG)

When watching red carpet events on TV, I have overheard the announcers say about some actress, “She is wearing Armani.”  I thought Armani was a designer. Wouldn’t it make more sense to say, “She is wearing a dress designed by Armani”? Well, I guess if you are a famous enough designer, such things don’t have to be clarified!  I’m sure famous designers also get to dictate their model’s hair, makeup, and accessories as well as whether or not these stars are allowed to eat or dance in these exquisite gowns. I’m sure none of these ladies decides to just sleep in these dresses either.

Imagine if we were wearing Christ! What would that look like? Well, for one thing we couldn’t just go about our daily activities as usual. We would have to be careful how we conduct ourselves, since we have been chosen as models for the greatest Designer. As Christians, we are wearing lives designed by Christ. We can’t squander this honor by engaging in frivolous indulgences. We can’t just kick back on the couch and take a nap either.

Every morning, I lounge around in my pajamas and robe till my husband wakes up. Then I go put on my running clothes. The idea is that if I have clothes that I can run in, I’m more likely to find time for it during the day. Most days, this works. By intentionally putting on active clothes, I'm actually psyching myself up for movement.

Similarly, if I intentionally 'wear Christ' every morning, I feel mentally prepared to serve Him. I'm more likely to look for opportunities to move in Him, to look at things from His perspective. It might just be sending out an encouraging email, or calling a friend, or writing for the blog, or praying for someone, or making some food for someone. Yet, if I just 'wear me', my own design, I just go about my business all day, filling every minute with self-absorbed activities. 

I don't find 'wearing Christ' constricting or limiting at all. It feels more like lightweight, active performance wear that wicks away moisture and allows you to run in all sorts of weather. Unfortunately, just like it’s hard to conceal excess fat underneath snug-fitting clothes, it’s difficult to hide your self-indulgences when you are dressed in Christ. But that’s ok, because the more you move in Christ, the fitter and leaner you become.

No comments:

Post a Comment