streams

streams

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Give and Take

“You should remember the words of the Lord Jesus: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" (Acts 20:35 NLT)

Really? Better for whom?

In any relationship, there will be an imbalance in the giving and receiving. During different phases, we give more…other times we take more than our share. It’s easy to feel like a chump or a martyr when you are giving more than you are getting back. Unless you believe in a God who loves sacrificially, it’s difficult to give without expecting something in return. 

They say that marriage is all about give and take, but I think it’s more about giving than taking. When your generosity is not reciprocated, it’s natural to feel used, duped, and foolish. Others may view you as stupid and naïve. However, those of us who pattern our life in the image of Christ find it a little easier to give of ourselves, to surrender our rights, to yield to our partners.

Our friends and family may encourage us to look out for our own interest. They may point out that we are being taken advantage of or being victimized. I’ve done this…I’ve confronted friends who, in my opinion, are too compliant. I personally believe that you can never give too much to your spouse or young children. Yet, I’ve called out friends who yield to pressure from their relatives, adult children, boyfriends, girlfriends, coworkers, church members, etc.

Why do I insist on boundaries to giving sacrificially? My personal experience has been that thoughtless, indiscriminate, promiscuous generosity can do more harm than good. I could be wrong about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment