streams

streams

Monday, July 22, 2013

Millstones

My husband and I were having dinner at a Mexican restaurant the other day. There was a young man sitting with a group of his friends at a nearby table. His blue margarita arrived in an enormous fish bowl that he could wear around his neck. The rest of the patrons at the restaurant cheered him on as he posed for pictures with this enormous alcoholic drink.

The next morning, I randomly happened upon the following verse:

“Hard trials and temptations are bound to come, but too bad for whoever brings them on! Better to wear a millstone necklace and take a swim in the deep blue sea than give even one of these dear little ones a hard time!” (Luke 17:1-2 MSG)

I couldn’t help but remember the blue millstone tied around that young man’s neck from the night before. It was bound to bring on all sorts of trials, temptations, and bad choices.

I wondered what sort of millstones I am voluntarily hanging around my neck. What are the trials and temptations that I bring upon myself? I have a few bad habits in which I indulge. These indulgences slowly grow into dependencies, which in time become addictions that pull me down. I also have several hang-ups that I know are self-limiting. Yet instead of shaking off this restrictive yoke, I willingly carry it around. The worst part of this self-imposed bondage is that I might influence others to follow me into slavery. Most of us have someone who looks up to us, whether it be our kids, younger relatives, friends, coworkers, neighbors, or random strangers. Our indulgences may cause others who are watching to let their guard down and succumb to the same temptations. Our less-than- ideal choices could cause others to place heavy millstones around their necks as well. They might pass these negative traits onto their circle of influence, thus spreading the disease further and further.

What self-limiting behaviors or bad habits do you have that you would not want your children to emulate?

No comments:

Post a Comment