streams

streams

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Perpetual Contentment

(Previously published as part of John Study)

Here is my interpretation of the encounter between Jesus and the Samaritan woman. (John 4:7-30 MSG)

An imperfect woman comes to the communal well to take care of her needs.

Jesus shows up at the well and asks her: “Can you attend to me?”

Woman asks: “Why me?”

Jesus: “Well, if you asked me for help, I’d take care of your needs and then some.”

Woman: “Yeah right! You don’t even have what it takes to take care of yourself right now; and my neediness runs deep.”

Jesus: “Trying to meet your needs your way will always lead to dissatisfaction; whereas, my way brings perpetual contentment.”

Woman: “Ok, fine…let’s try it your way then…”

Jesus: “First, bring me the person who takes care of you now.”

Woman: “I don’t have anyone taking care of me right now.”

Jesus: “Aha! You’re right. Over the years, you’ve committed to many people and poured yourself into different pursuits that you thought would bring you happiness, but none of those methods worked.”

Woman: “If you’re such a know-it-all, then how come your followers are so confused? Why don’t you tell me which church is best?”

Jesus: “What?!—gosh you are dense! It doesn’t matter where you go to church. It’s who you are and the way you live that counts. Engage your spirit in the pursuit of truth. Be authentic.” (Romans 4:23 MSG)

Woman: “I guess we won’t know the whole truth till God reveals Himself.”

Jesus: “I am He, You don’t have to wait any longer or look any further.” (Romans 4:26 MSG)

I am similar to this woman. I try to satisfy my neediness by my own efforts. Jesus asks me to attend to Him. I debate, negotiate, and ask pointless, distracting questions. Jesus reveals Himself as the only solution to my deepest needs. He is the source of perpetual contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment