streams

streams

Monday, July 1, 2013

Burning Bush

Euonymus alatus is a popular ornamental shrub that is found all over the Midwest United States. It’s commonly known as “burning bush,” because its leaves turn a flaming red color in the fall. Most of the year, this bush is just an average green plant, but for a few weeks in the fall, it definitely gets your attention!

In the book of Exodus, chapter 3, Moses is amazed by the sight of a bush that is on fire but doesn’t burn out. He stops what he is doing and focuses on this wondrous spectacle. God uses a burning bush to get Moses to pay attention to His instructions.

God can use figurative ‘burning bushes’ to get us to stop whatever we are doing and to pay attention. Nondescript events or people can suddenly light up as if on fire.

I shall mention one such burning-bush moment that I experienced. I have known a certain woman for several years. When I first met her, I didn’t think she was anything special. She was nice, kind, and gracious, but not the kind of gal that would make anyone stop and take notice. Then she went through a great trial. However, her suffering didn’t consume her; instead, it transformed her into this magnificent role model. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her. I’d watch in amazement as she kept burning without burning out. She glorified God through her suffering. God used her to get my attention and teach me several lessons about faith, trust, and endurance.
 
The Latin name for the burning bush, Euonymus alatus, is translated as ‘winged spindle.’ This plant was not named for its spectacular fall foliage, but for the winged branches that have always lain hidden under the leaves. Similarly, what defines my friend is not that she overcame great suffering, but that she had wings all along…

No comments:

Post a Comment