streams

streams

Friday, October 4, 2013

Going Back For More Abuse

Some people go in for weekly massages, manicures, or pedicures. I subject myself to weekly spankings. Let me explain: I call my parents every week and listen while they berate me. I try to explain my choices and justify my behavior. I even try to modify my actions according to their values. This puts me in a compromising position that is both uncomfortable for me, and yet dissatisfying to my parents. Now, this pattern might be excusable if I were a teenager living in my parent’s house. But I happen to be a 43 year-old woman who has not been dependent on my parents for several decades. So why do allow this? Why do I grant them this level of power over me?

For one thing, I don’t want to hurt their feelings. I want to make them feel loved and respected. Somewhere along the years, I developed a distorted belief that love involved regular castigation. Even though I have desensitized myself a bit over the years, I am still affected by their criticism. It has seeped into my psyche, influencing how I see myself and how I relate to others. I tend to be indecisive. I am prone to self-flagellation. I constantly seek self-improvement. I never feel like I’m good-enough. If this weren’t bad-enough, I inadvertently pass these beliefs onto others around me, repeating the vicious cycle of abuse. I have a tendency to encourage others to ‘improve’ themselves. I eagerly provide advice, suggestions, and information whether or not I’m asked for it.

Now that I am aware of this problem, how do I get out of it? How do I avoid repeating this cycle?

2 comments:

  1. I believe you already know the answer to your last question and are afraid to speak up on your own behalf. Everyone, including your parents have the right to believe in what they believe in, be it right or wrong, when it isn't causing damage. They aren't constantly trying to damage you, but you are allowing it to constantly damage you in your own beliefs.

    "What you think of me is none of my business." is a good baby step to break this cycle, BUT, you have to believe it.

    I have a Chapter 9 from Wayne Dyer's book, The Power Of Intention I will email you. I typed this out for myself as a pertinent chapter speaking directly to me for what I deal with in my own family I will email you. I highly suggest reading this whole book and if you have it, pull it out and read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura. Especially for the email.

    ReplyDelete