streams

streams

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Relationship Advice

“Everything he does and says is designed to bring the best out of her.” (Ephesians 5:25-28 MSG)

A good relationship brings out the best of both individuals. This doesn’t mean it is always conflict free, but there should be positive transformation.

Once, my husband polished an old pair of boots for me. The boots looked okay before he started, but after he was finished they looked better than new—shiny, black, just excellent. I remember wearing them the next day and everyone complimented me on them. This is what a good relationship should look like. The rubbing up against each other, the friction, should bring the best out of each other.

This doesn’t happen automatically with every relationship. I have certain long-term relationships that consistently bring out the worst in me. Often, after being around these people, I am muddy, scuffed up, and worn out. I don’t know how to remedy this situation. I can’t avoid them, because they are family.

This is when I need to allow God to polish me. I must wait my turn at His feet, (for I am not the only shoe that needs His attention). Only He can brush off the dirt, cover the scuff marks, and bring out the shine once again. 

2 comments:

  1. I believe we all have those relationships in our lives. It is those relationships, when we recognize they are tarnishing our authentic self, we take a breath and LET GOD return us with HIS love to our true authentic self.

    ReplyDelete