streams

streams

Monday, October 7, 2013

Kite Surfing

While on a recent trip to Oahu, I spent a lot of time watching kitesurfers. These surfers were flying large kites while balancing on small surfboards strapped on to their feet. The wind propelled them at great speeds. They harnessed the power of the wind to do incredibly high jumps. Even though I was mesmerized by their acrobatics, their skill and balance, I had no desire to join them. Unlike them, I knew I wouldn’t find exhilaration in letting the wind and waves carry me. The following verse came to mind:

“You know well enough how the wind blows this way and that. You hear it rustling through the trees, but you have no idea where it comes from or where it’s headed next. That’s the way it is with everyone ‘born from above’ by the wind of God, the Spirit of God.” (John 3:7-8 MSG)

The Holy Spirit is as unpredictable as the wind. I wondered if there was a way for me to harness the power of the Spirit and enjoy it—all while being propelled to great heights and dizzying speeds.

Now, I’m not a thrill seeker. I don’t even understand what motivates some people to willingly take risks for the mere reward of an adrenaline rush. Psychologist Frank Farley coined the term Type T personality to describe thrill-seekers, or those who crave variety, novelty, intensity, and risk. According to Farley, Type T’s are born that way. Neurotransmitters such as dopamine and testosterone are factors that determine whether or not you are likely to pursue thrill seeking behavior.
So, maybe God made me this way--to play it safe, to stay rooted, and to be analytical. Maybe He made others who get a rush out of throwing caution to the wind and riding the waves of the Holy Spirit…and I shouldn’t envy them…

1 comment:

  1. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he enjoyed it as well!

    Kite school Thailand

    ReplyDelete