streams

streams

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Accumulating Piles

When I sweep my floors, I accumulate all the dirt in each section into little piles. Then I come back with my dustpan and sweep it all up. If someone walks by, I will warn them to ‘watch out for the piles.’ I don’t want them to step in my collection of dirt and spread it around again. Once I get all the dirt into my dustpan, I look at it for a moment and find some satisfaction in how much I’ve cleaned off my floors. If my husband is around, I’ll even show him the dustpan, saying: “Look at all this dirt that was on the floor!” Then, I dump all of it in the trash. The next day, I do it all over again.

“We make our pile, and then we leave it.” (Ps. 39:6 MSG)

All my accomplishments are like little piles of dust that I heap up when I’m sweeping. Even though I feel a momentary sense of satisfaction at what I have accumulated, in reality, it all amounts to nothing. Others might appreciate my efforts, might even be impressed by my piles of dirt—yet, everything I achieve is transitory.

Lord, help me to distinguish between that which is transiently satisfying and eternally meaningful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment