streams

streams

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Running The Gauntlet

I’m afraid. I’m actually sick with worry. My suppressed anxiety is manifesting itself in a multitude of physical ailments: hypertension, cold sores, headaches, exhaustion, sciatica, neck pain, chest pain, insomnia. I feel this sense of impending doom as I prepare to run the gauntlet once again. (Historically, ‘running the gauntlet’ was a form of punishment where a person would be forced to run between parallel lines of men who would strike him. These days, the idiom is often used to describe the experience of enduring a series of personal attacks or criticisms.)

“The battle is not yours, but God’s.” (2 Chronicles. 20:15 NLT)

“Don’t be afraid; don’t pay any mind to this vandal horde. This is God’s war, not yours…You won’t have to lift a hand in this battle; just stand firm, and watch God’s saving work for you take shape. Don’t be afraid, don’t waver. March out boldly tomorrow—God is with you.” (2 Chronicles. 20:15-17 MSG excerpts) 

This is God’s battle. He is in charge. I do have a small, but crucial role to play. I have to be firm, courageous, bold, trusting, and confident in God’s ability to defeat the opposition. I may have to run the gauntlet, but I am running it with Christ. I can get through all situations with Christ who strengthens me.

2 comments:

  1. Sending prayers your way, since I know all too well how you are feeling. You are not alone and we will get through this with Christ, who strengthens us.

    ReplyDelete