streams

streams

Monday, April 14, 2014

Fearless

Although I present a tough exterior, I’m quite chickenhearted. I’m fearful about many things: being outside after dark, tornadoes, the safety of my loved ones, illness, economic collapse, addictions, and evil in all its various manifestations. I put up a brave front—speaking words of courage, while hoping no one notices my shaky knees.

For the last few months, I have been trying to do something uncomfortable once a week. I’ve intentionally extended myself beyond my comfort zone in order to stretch. For example, I did some public speaking, I drove a few times in the dark, I changed several little bad habits, I modified certain self-limiting behaviors, I shared some personal tragedies so that others can benefit from my experiences, and I extended grace in situations that I normally would have avoided. These deliberate, methodical practices have made me more flexible.

However, not every situation that is uncomfortable promotes growth. For example, a silent alarm goes off inside me when I am around certain unstable people or dangerous circumstances. I can sense that I need to stop. I follow my instincts and move in a different direction. Sometimes hyperextension can cause dislocation. Bending over backwards is much more risky than bending forward.

Eleanor Roosevelt said: “You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

I agree with Eleanor Roosevelt…partially. I have gained strength when I push beyond my fears. Yet, I have also learned to listen to my instincts. But most of all, my previous experiences have taught me this valuable lesson: My confidence is not in my own wisdom or ability. It is God who has gotten me through many horrors. With HIS help I can take the next thing that comes along.   

“God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. So we will not fear when earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea.” (Ps. 46:2 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment