streams

streams

Monday, May 11, 2015

Meaningful Steps

“Remember your leaders, those who have spoken God's word to you. Think about the impact of their lives, and imitate their faith.” (Hebrews 13:7 ISV)

I have an activity tracker that measures all my steps. It motivates me to keep active, even if it is to just get up off the couch and go get a cookie. This gadget assigns all of my steps equal value--whether I’m running uphill or leisurely walking through my house. Obviously, not every step I take has the same impact on my health. In order to have cardiac benefits, my exertion has to raise my pulse to at least 50% of my maximum heart rate. Other exercises such as yoga, resistance training, or calisthenics can also increase strength and flexibility, and thus might be more beneficial than merely walking back and forth through my house.

As I get older, I have learned to transition into more and more low-impact activities. What was a meaningful step in my 20’s does not have the same significance in my 40’s. Back then, I desired recognition, acceptance, respect, and to make a high impact on the world. I pursued these aspirations with intensity. These days, my ambitions are more low-key. I crave peace, health, stability, and simplicity.

Even though some things have changed over the years, others have not. I still take many steps each day that have very little value. I waste a lot of time in worry, distractions, and useless busywork. This gives me a false sense of productivity and significance.

How can we make the majority of our steps meaningful?

We can try to emulate those who live mindfully, purposefully, and faithfully; We can observe and learn how they consider each step and ensure it is in alignment with God’s purposes. Then we too can join the Apostle Paul in claiming: “I run with purpose in every step.” (1 Corinthians 9:26 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment