streams

streams

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Protective Shells

“He who would search for pearls must dive below.” (John Dryden)

Pearls are formed inside shells of certain mollusks as a defense mechanism. I know several people who are like pearls. They are naturally guarded and prefer to stay in their shell. Their luminescence is often hidden. In rare moments of security, they reveal themselves--expressing their beauty, strength, and iridescent personalities. I used to bemoan the fact that these people were not always open and expressive. Now I understand that this is how they were created. The shell is their safe hiding place. Too much exposure, stimulation, or attention can make them feel vulnerable.

One must wait for these pearls to reveal themselves in their own timing, and also to let them go back to their safe shells after short bouts of exposure. Their subtle, inner beauty is worth the wait. However, one must still plunge below the surface to discover them and admire them in their natural habitat. So I have learned to dive into the depths and to hold my breath--while I search for pearls.

No comments:

Post a Comment