streams

streams

Monday, May 4, 2015

On Hold with God

“My eyes are swollen with weeping, waiting for my God to help me.” (Psalm 69:3 NLT)

Last time I called the bank, I was put on hold for a long time. First, I had to listen to a recording that said: “Your call is very important to us.” Really? After what seemed like an eternity, a real live person answered the phone. She listened patiently to my request and then asked: “Can I put you on hold?” Sigh!  After a few minutes, she came back and said: “It’s going to take me a few more minutes to find the right person who can answer your question, but I just wanted you to know I haven’t forgotten about you.” This time, I was actually impressed.  

Oftentimes, when I pray, I feel like God puts me on eternal hold. Scripture verses remind me that ‘my prayers are very important to God.’ Yet, very rarely do I get a personal sign of reassurance that God has heard me and that He hasn’t forgotten about me.

My husband has a habit of putting the phone on speaker whenever he is placed on hold. He will go about his business, assuming it will be a while before anyone answers. Occasionally, he wanders too far from the phone, and misses his opportunity to talk with the person for whom he was waiting.

I wonder if God does send me signs of reassurance, but I am just not recognizing them. Maybe I am going about my business instead of waiting patiently. Maybe I wander too far, get distracted, and miss the gentle voice of God.

“Let all who seek God’s help be encouraged. For the LORD hears the cries of the needy.” (Psalm 69:32-33 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment