streams

streams

Monday, March 7, 2016

Almighty God

"We give thanks to you, Lord God, the Almighty, the one who is and who always was, for now you have assumed your great power and have begun to reign. (Revelations 11:17 NLT)
What do I do when I am overwhelmed by a situation where the need is more than I can handle?
I walk away.
Jesus feeds over 5000 people with a few fishes and loaves. (Matthew 14:15-21) The disciples were worried about the remote location, the late hour, the scarce resources, and the great need. They felt the most humane thing to do was to let the crowd go and take care of themselves. But Jesus asked them to bring him their limited resources. He blessed what they brought to him. Then, He asked them to distribute the broken pieces. And it was more than enough to satisfy the need.
If I had to feed 5000, and I had enough for 4500, I might pray about the rest--hoping God would make up the difference. Why do I think I have a God who can only be counted for 10%? Why can’t I trust that God can provide 99.9%? I wonder if it has something to do with what I’m willing to give? Perhaps I’m not ready to give up more than a 10% stake in my life?  
My desire for self-sufficiency compels me to depend on my limited capabilities instead of on God’s unlimited power. This is sin. I need to stop listening to my egocentric voice. I need to give of myself completely, trust absolutely, and obey faithfully. God Almighty is in control.
I shall not be anxious or worried, for YOU, Lord, are All-knowing and All-powerful. You are the Author and Finisher, the Beginning and the End. You will finish what You started in each of us. Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment