streams

streams

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Christian Uniform

“They act like they're worshiping me, but they don't mean it. They just use me as a cover for teaching whatever suits their fancy.” (Matthew 15:9 MSG)
I’ve always liked wearing activewear, even before I started exercising faithfully. Active clothes are stretchy, comfortable, and cute. I figured I would be motivated to move more if I wore them all day. Back in the day, I would put on workout clothes, meet a friend at the gym, and we would both leisurely peddle on stationary bikes for an hour while socializing. I wouldn’t even be sweaty after my workout. Afterwards I would get a smoothie and then go run errands. I felt good that I was going to the gym regularly, but I wondered why my body looked about the same!
Many of us wear the uniform of Christianity as we go about our daily lives. We go to church regularly, attend Bible studies and retreats, do volunteer work, wear crosses around our necks, etc. This uniform is comfortable, presentable, and socially acceptable. We use our faith as a cover and then do whatever suits us. Our outer lives may look respectable, but our inner lives remain unfit and flabby. We are essentially passive Christians who fool ourselves and others into thinking we are active Christians.
Active faith involves exertion, discomfort, and sweat. We will have to put aside our usual routine. Active faith cannot be fit into gaps that may open up in our schedule. It requires commitment, discipline, and dedication. Eventually active faith produces results: our desires evolve, our perspectives change, our characters transform. We are transfigured, shaped  by God’s influence, and molded according to His intentions.
Lord, may we cover ourselves with Your Holy Spirit and operate completely under Your influence.  

No comments:

Post a Comment