streams

streams

Friday, March 18, 2016

Out of My Depth

“I ask him that with both feet planted firmly on love, you'll be able to take in with all Christians the extravagant dimensions of Christ's love. Reach out and experience the breadth! Test its length! Plumb the depths! Rise to the heights!” (Ephesians 3:17-18 MSG)  
I know how to swim, but I am not a strong swimmer. Consequently, I’m reluctant to participate in any water sport where the water is deep. Recently my husband and I had an opportunity to go kayaking in the open ocean. This was too scary for me. I would rather kayak in lagoons or canals, where the water is shallow, the current is predictable, and the shore is close. I do not like going out of my depth.
I cannot experience the depths of Christ’s love, unless I am willing to let go of the familiar shores. I’m tired of the shallow end of earthly concerns. I want to take deep Spirit breaths. I want to lose myself in the brilliant, all-encompassing ocean that is God. 
Lord, may we experience the extravagant depths of Your love. May we be willing to let go of the familiar shores  and drown in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment