streams

streams

Friday, March 4, 2016

Spiritual Camp Out

“At once the Spirit brought him into the desert.” (Mark 1:12 GWT)
I’ve always wanted to camp out in a tent in some remote location--to retreat from worldly pursuits, get away from all my daily concerns, and spend time in contemplation. But, like most adults, I have responsibilities from which I cannot get away.
Jesus was led into the desert wilderness by the Holy Spirit. During the Lenten season, I imagine myself following Jesus into the desert and camping out with Him. This is my chance to retreat from busywork and worldly distractions so that I may focus on God. Yet, detaching is difficult. I am entrenched in my daily habits. Even slight changes in routine feel disruptive and disabling. The discomfort becomes a distraction. As soon as I attempt to discipline myself, temptations abound. I realize I am vulnerable in the wilderness, powerless against wild beasts, unable to take care of my needs. So I turn to the One who brought me. I ask Him to teach me what to do. I depend on Him. Our relationship grows stronger as I get to know Him and spend time with Him. 
Lord, help us to detach from our  worldly concerns and follow you into the desert wilderness. Teach us how to resist temptations, repent, and turn back to what is truly valuable--our relationship with YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment