streams

streams

Monday, May 2, 2016

Bread of Life

“Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again.” (John 6:35 NLT)

Every evening, I watch TV and eat snacks. I keep searching in the cupboards, hoping to find something that will satiate my cravings. I try  chips, chocolates, crackers, and cookies. No matter what I eat, I end up feeling empty and dissatisfied. The next evening, I repeat the same behavior.

What am I hungry for? What do I need? Obviously it isn’t the junk food that I keep stuffing myself with!

Within each of us, there are deep chasms that make us feel unfulfilled and vulnerable. Many of us attempt to occupy ourselves with busyness, distractions, food, alcohol, or other addictive habits. Even though we might temporarily forget our emptiness, we remain discontent and needy.

Jesus says: Come to me; trust me; align yourself with me. I will supply your needs. I am more than enough. Nothing else will satisfy.

How do we align ourselves with Christ? We present our emptiness to Christ. We acknowledge our iniquities and our insufficiency. We wait. We submit. We listen.

Father, draw me close to Christ. I don’t want to waste any more energy searching for useless ways to satisfy my hunger. Feed me with the bread of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment