streams

streams

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Spiritual Reserves

“The five who were foolish didn’t take enough olive oil for their lamps, but the other five were wise enough to take along extra oil.” (Matthew 25:3-4 NLT)

We are called to be Christ’s attendants, waiting expectantly for His arrival. Our physical lives are like lamps. We may polish the outside, we may decorate it with shiny gems--but, unless there is enough oil, we cannot shine. The oil is the spiritual fuel that makes our lamps give off light. Most of us have minimal spiritual reserves. When the darkness extends beyond our expectations, we burn out.

When I go on a trip, I make sure my phone is charged all the way. I also make sure and pack the charging cable in my purse within easy reach. If I’m waiting at an airport, I look for an electric socket and plug my phone in--even if my phone is still at 50% charge. I also carry around a portable power bank. This little device can store enough power to charge your smartphone in an emergency. The night before every long trip, I make sure my power bank is charged all the way, too. Why am I so careful about keeping my smartphone charged? I know how much I depend on it daily. I also know things rarely go as expected when I travel.

We depend on God’s power to guide us. Life’s unexpected troubles drain our strength and discernment. How can we increase our spiritual reserves? We must fill up with the Spirit...and then some. Take every opportunity to recharge with prayer. Be still and soak in God’s presence. Put in the extra time and effort to stock up on sacred fuel. Then, even when things go sideways, we will be prepared.

Holy Spirit, fill us with Your power. Remind us that we can handle all things through Christ who gives us strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment