streams

streams

Friday, May 6, 2016

Inside the Cup

“For you are so careful to clean the outside of the cup and the dish, but inside you are filthy--full of greed and self-indulgence!” (Matthew 23:25 NLT)

I wash my coffee cups in the dishwasher, so I assume they are clean. The cups that I use regularly are stained on the inside. I’ve gotten used to this, so it doesn’t bother me much. Every so often, I wash the cups by hand, scrubbing abrasively to get the stains out. But the coffee stains build up again in a few weeks.

On the outside, I look like a follower of Christ. I attend church services and Bible studies; I pray; I listen to Christian music. Yet, my internal thoughts do not always match my external Christian identity. Inside I am anxious and fearful. I want my own way. I claim to have faith in God; yet, I have difficulty  trusting Him completely.  

Every so often, circumstances come along that scrub me abrasively. The stains of pride, self-indulgence, intolerance, distrust, and stubbornness are washed away. My inside shines with compassion and mercy. Unfortunately, it doesn’t stay that way for very long. Over time, the stains build up again.

Lord, wash away my stains. May I be faithful inside and out. May I reflect Your glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment