streams

streams

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Embarrassed

“If any of you are embarrassed over me and the way I’m leading you when you get around your fickle and unfocused friends, know that you’ll be an even greater embarrassment to the Son of Man.” (Mark 8:38 MSG)

Teenagers are often embarrassed to be seen with their parents. My son was no exception. When we would go to the grocery store, he would either be way ahead or lag way behind. Since my son always pushed the shopping cart when he was with me, this quickly became inconvenient. I would pick up several items that we needed, and he would be nowhere to be seen. I have walked around with a gallon of milk, looking for my son and his cart. I have dropped items as I try to balance several items in my arms. I have  called out his name across the aisles of the supermarket as I searched for him. All this unnecessary awkwardness could have been avoided if he would have just stayed close by my side.

Our desire to seem worldly, sophisticated, independent, and relevant often drives us to put some space between us and God. However, our Father wants us to stay close and receive His blessings. He calls out to us when we wander off, but we are often too far away to hear Him. When we refuse to associate with Him, when we are embarrassed to be seen with him, when we pretend we don’t even know Him, we miss out.

Father, grant us the maturity and desire to remain close to You at all times and at any cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment