streams

streams

Monday, July 25, 2016

Home

“God, it seems you’ve been our home forever.” (Psalm 90:1 MSG)

What comes to mind when you think of home? Is it a place? A person? A feeling?

I do not claim a city as my hometown, since I’ve lived in many places. My current house has been my longest dwelling and my favorite place thus far. But home is more than just a building or a place. My husband, my son, my dog, my friends, my sister--these are the people with whom I can be myself. They accept me ‘as is’--I don’t feel the need to prove myself worthy in order to win their love and approval. Thus, when I am with these people, I feel at home...to a certain extent. As soon as something disruptive happens, the sanctity of my sanctuary is breached; I become a refugee seeking a new refuge.

The concept of home evokes feelings of security, stability, love, acceptance, privacy, peace, comfort, and familiarity. Most of us keep searching for this elusive feeling of belonging. We imagine that this can be found in certain locations or with like-minded people. We may experience moments where we feel at home, but rarely do they last. This is because this world is not our home. We may have glimpses of what it means to feel unconditional love and acceptance, vague impressions of grace that is yet to be fully experienced. There is a reason for that sense of displacement we feel. Like salmon and sea turtles, we seem to be imprinted with a deep memory of the moment we were created. Before we were born on this earth, we knew God and were known by God. Our souls have experienced unconditional love and acceptance. This drives us to keep seeking God, who has been our home forever.  We long to go back  where we belong.

“You have formed us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless till they find rest in You.” (St. Augustine)

No comments:

Post a Comment