streams

streams

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Groaning Prayers

“We don't know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words.” (Romans 8:26 NLT)

As the years pass by, my prayers are getting simpler. I no longer try to direct God with suggestions on how He should intervene. The Lord knows what is best. I just need to know Him. These days, the focus of my prayers is more on God and less on my problems. I have realized that my anxiety tends to become yet another distraction which prevents me from hearing divine whispers. I lift each person and concern up to God, and then I release them like birds into the air.

Once I trust God, I am able to have a much deeper conversation with Him. Some days we enjoy companionable silence. Oftentimes, there are insights and specific instructions. However, not all of my prayer times are pleasant and peaceful. There are moments of deep intensity--where the Spirit groans and cries through me. I become like a swollen river during a flood--invasive and disruptive. I find myself crossing boundaries that I normally stay within.  When the Spirit of God takes over, even what little control I had is lost. This can be embarrassing and disconcerting.

Intimacy with God may not always be calm or enjoyable. However, it can be powerful. Once we hush all the the other voices, internal and external, we are able to listen to the still, small voice of God. Once we let go of our desire to be in control, we are able to allow the Spirit to flow through us and take charge of everything.  Prayer is no longer a struggle. We are eager to  surrender. We become receptive and responsive to the Holy Spirit. We yearn for His tender embrace. We wait joyfully, in anticipation, for our blessed union with God.

Lord, may our restlessness be replaced by the stillness of knowing You intimately.

1 comment:

  1. I personally find that meditation taught me to become very silent and be able to focus on the stillness and on what I hear and not what I want to hear. Like you the messages can be quiet, peaceful, guiding and other times intense. with strong tendencies to push me out of my comfort zone, knowing I am loved and protected.

    ReplyDelete