streams

streams

Friday, August 24, 2018

Embraced by the Unknown

“When I am afraid, I will put my trust in you.” (Psalm 56:3 NLT)

It was 5 a.m. I was backing the car out of the garage. I looked back as I reversed the car. I couldn’t see anything. I was used to the predawn darkness, but this was different. A thick fog enveloped everything. I put the gear back in park and just sat there for a moment. Over the last year, my fear of driving in the dark had diminished. But, going out on this dark, foggy morning felt scary, dangerous, and unwise. As I sat there, debating what to do next, I remembered something I had read in a devotional a few days before:

“My eye is not on the density of the fog, but on the living God who controls every circumstance of my life.” (George Mueller)

Here was my chance to apply something I had read. My fear stemmed from my fixation on the fog and the darkness. I couldn’t see where I was going. I had minimal control. I had two choices. Either go back in the house and wait until visibility improved, or trust God. The first seemed rational, while the latter felt absurd. And who was to say that God wasn’t the one directing me to stay home?

I sat quietly in my car. I asked God for guidance. I felt a sense of peace. I backed the car slowly out of the garage. I drove out into the darkness, and the fog embraced me. My eye was no longer on the density of the unknown, but on the living God who controls every circumstance of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment