streams

streams

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Mantras

“I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways.” (Psalm 119:15 ESV)

The Sanskrit word mantra is a word or phrase that is repeated to aid concentration during meditation. It is a sacred utterance that elevates the mind psychologically and spiritually.

Runners often use positive mantras to replace negative self-talk. There are times when every muscle hurts, we feel exhausted, and our minds tell us we cannot go on. During these times, we search the recesses of our minds for encouraging messages that pull us out of despair. The best mantras are short, positive, and motivational. They animate our spirits and resonate in our souls

I use mantras while running and as I go about my daily activities. My favorites are often scripture verses:
I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.” (Philippians 4:13)
“Lord, have mercy.” (Psalm 123:3 NLT)
“Trust Him, and He will help you.” (Psalm 37:5 NLT)
“Fear not, for I am with you.” (Isaiah 43:5 ESV)

Sometimes, when repeating a phrase takes too much effort, I simplify my mantra down to one word.
JESUS!
I repeat His name over and over with every breath.
I focus on God.
I fix my eyes on His ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment