streams

streams

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Traveling Light

"Travel light. Comb and toothbrush and no extra luggage.” (Luke 10:4 MSG)

On long runs, I wear a belt with pouches to carry my supplies. It holds my phone, a small bottle of water, gel packs, chapstick, car keys, tissue, etc. I may not need all of these things, but it makes me feel secure to have these supplies with me, just in case. However, carrying all this extra weight with me slows me down.

Are you carrying around habits or attitudes that are holding you back? Unforgiveness, fear, cynicism, resentment, entitlement, despair, ambition, pride, greed, materialism, etc., can all make you feel less vulnerable, but they can also weigh you down. Determining what is essential and what is extra can be difficult. Most of us want to be self-sufficient, prepared for any eventuality.

Jesus sent his disciples out into the world. He instructed them to travel light and not take any extra baggage. Why? He knew that any extra stuff would limit their movements and slow them down. He did not expect the disciples to be self-sufficient. Instead, they were taught to depend on God for sustenance, guidance, and protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment