streams

streams

Friday, September 21, 2018

Isolation

“Elijah obeyed God's orders. He went and camped in the Kerith canyon on the other side of the Jordan.” (1 Kings 17:5 MSG)

When the world and its problems become overwhelming, I feel the urge to get away. I try to find quick and easy ways to decompress--browsing social media, watching mindless television shows, or pursuing other distractions. This is as counterproductive as drinking coffee when stressed. Instead of getting away from worldliness, I become even more immersed.

These days, I have learned to seek out a few hours of seclusion in nature. I leave all my digital devices behind and go out for a run by myself.  I use this time to talk to God. I tell Him my concerns. I ask for input. I argue. I complain. I pray. Isolation with Jesus clears my mind and calms me. My spirit is reoriented. I come away from my retreat strengthened and rejuvenated.

“Jesus said to them, ‘Come away with me. Let us go alone to a quiet place and rest for a while.’” (Matthew 6:31 WE)

No comments:

Post a Comment