streams

streams

Friday, September 28, 2018

Neglected Garden

“So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, "It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables.” (Acts 6:2 NIV)

For the first time in several years, I did not do any gardening this summer. I had other priorities. Thus, I didn’t plant, weed, or water anything. Unfortunately, my neglected garden didn’t stay dormant during the summer. It filled up with unsightly weeds.

Relationships require consistent nurturing. They have to be watered, weeded, and fertilized at appropriate times. Communion with God also needs constant care. It isn’t something that we can pick up at our convenience.

There are seasons of life when I neglect what God calls me to be in order to pursue other agendas. Invasive busyness takes over. My life gets filled with ugly weeds--pointless habits that suck up time and energy. When I look back, I realize that, although I worked really hard, I produced very little of substance.

Lord, help me to consistently nurture my relationship with You. Protect me from distractions. Pull out the weeds that are taking up space. Enable me to be attentive to whatever you have called me to be today.

No comments:

Post a Comment