streams

streams

Monday, September 17, 2018

Traffic Jams and Detours

“Forget about deciding what's right for each other. Here's what you need to be concerned about: that you don't get in the way of someone else, making life more difficult than it already is.” (Romans 14:13 MSG)

Religious traditions and practices are meant to help us connect with God. What we find meaningful often depends on our denominational and cultural background. For example, someone who was raised Catholic might find the Eucharist and the Rosary to be integral to their faith. Evangelicals might say that daily Bible study is essential. Other denominations may hold that speaking in tongues, fasting, singing, and other rituals are the best way to communicate with God.

Religion is like a form of mass transit. It can move large groups of people closer to popular destinations. And just like public transportation, religious traditions have some limitations. They can only get you to the closest station; you will still need to find your own way to your final goal.  It also doesn’t work well for individuals who need to take an unconventional path or are on a different time schedule.

My current church feels like I’m in a bus that is stuck in traffic. I sense that I am moving forward but really slowly. I’ve been in churches that moved faster but detoured me away from God. I don’t do well in groups that peddle a packaged, heavily processed, entertaining, social club scene.  It feels regressive and distracting. I find solitude, contemplation, study, writing, and private prayer grow my faith. However, the way I commune with God might not work for anyone else. It is not up to me to decide what is right for others. If I criticize the way others practice faith, it may cause them to stumble. We each have to find our own way to draw closer to God, to connect, and to become mature in faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment