streams

streams

Monday, September 3, 2018

Responding to God

“Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.” (Romans 12:2 MSG)

I was browsing the vitamin aisle at the store when I noticed a row of multivitamins for ‘mature adults.’ I wondered what it took to qualify as a mature adult? I’m not sure if I’ve grown much in the last year. I have made a few new friends and learned some things. I’ve traveled and had several novel experiences. I’ve tried different dishes at exotic restaurants and cooked experimental recipes at home.  I may have gained a few pounds--but I can’t say I am more mature than I was last year at this time. In fact, I feel like a piece of chicken that has been grilled on a hot flame--well done on the outside and still bloody on the inside.

Many adults seem externally well-adjusted. We know how to fit in without challenging the status quo. We are responsive to cultural expectations and pressure--making superficial changes to be pleasing and acceptable to those around us. Unfortunately, this just drags us down to the level of immaturity that is prevalent in society.

It’s difficult to be responsive to both culture and to God. A certain amount of detachment from the world can increase our sensitivity to the Holy. When we become conscious of what God wants and learn to be receptive--it brings out the best in us. In time, we are transformed from the inside out--growing in spiritual awareness and maturity.

No comments:

Post a Comment