streams

streams

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Nonverbal Prayers

“When life is heavy and hard to take, go off by yourself. Enter the silence.
Bow in prayer. Don't ask questions: Wait for hope to appear.” (Lamentations 3:28 MSG)

Prayer does not require words. It might help us to express our concerns to God in cohesive sentences, but it makes no difference to an omniscient God. Whether we pray out loud or in our minds, whether we kneel, stand, sit, or lie face down--might improve our focus, but it doesn’t change God who remains constant and accessible.

When my worries threaten to engulf me, I find a quiet place. I have a hard time formulating words at this time. Thus, I wrap up my anxieties in an imaginary box and submit it to God. I don’t make requests or give suggestions. I don’t ask questions. I wait silently. Feelings of panic, sadness, and fear well up inside me. I wait a bit longer. Acceptance, gladness, and gratitude usually follow. I don’t shape these emotions into words; I just let them flow through me. Eventually, I am fueled with enough hope and peace to get up and move. I know that God is near. In the hard times and the good times, He remains dependable. He is attentive to my heart cries. I trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment