streams

streams

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Accepting My Voice

“Do everything you can to present yourself to God as a man who is fully genuine, a worker unashamed of your mission, a guide capable of leading others along the correct path defined by the word of truth.” (2 Timothy 2:15 VOICE)

I have always had a deep voice. When I was young, high-pitched voices were considered feminine, especially when singing. I was told that my natural voice was not pretty; in order to sound acceptable, I was encouraged to sing in falsetto. I could not express myself fully in this limited vocal range. However, I succumbed to cultural expectations. I chose to sound appropriate rather than authentic. Years later, I discovered several female singers with beautiful, deep voices. They expressed themselves with power and passion. These women taught me that it was okay to be different. Eventually, I became comfortable with my own voice. I decided that I would rather be rebuffed for being true than be accepted for being false.

These days, I focus on speaking and writing more than on singing. I want to articulate my thoughts in ways that increase understanding--for myself as well as others. I am aware that my voice may not be pleasing to everyone, but that is okay. Authenticity is never shameful. I would rather be rejected for being sincere than be approved for being counterfeit. I concentrate on being the person whom God created, conscious that my differences are my gifts, unapologetically genuine, always seeking truth and understanding. 


No comments:

Post a Comment