streams

streams

Thursday, September 19, 2019

Leashed Impulses

“We take every thought captive so that it is obedient to Christ.” (2 Corinthians 10:5 (GWT)

I don’t understand why people leave their dogs unleashed in areas where they could harm themselves or others. My dog would never bite anyone, but she might chase a rabbit or squirrel into the street and get run over by a car. Even when walking on a trail, I keep her leashed, because I don’t want her to get lost or hurt. The only place I let her roam free is our fenced backyard. Over the years, she has learned to be still, bowing her head in front of me, while I put on her leash before she exits through the front door. 

Yesterday, I had a sudden impulse. It seemed like a good idea, the right thing to do. It made complete sense. However, I leashed my thoughts and subdued myself to Christ. Before acting on any thought, I have learned it is best to wait quietly for the Spirit’s leading. 

Rushing out through every door of opportunity without restraint is unwise. Trusting that God knows what is best allows us to capture every thought, impulse, project, and emotion. Submit your will to God. Wait for the Master at each threshold. Do not leap through open doors, depending on your own wisdom. Rely on the Lord to guide you according to His purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment