streams

streams

Friday, September 27, 2019

Faith Fatigue

“So, let’s not allow ourselves to get fatigued doing good.” (Galatians 6:9 MSG)

I am always tired after a long run, but most of the time, it is a good tired. I know that hard effort makes me better as a runner. However, there are weeks when I feel burned out. I want to quit; I have no motivation to continue. It’s hard to pull myself out once I have reached this stage of fatigue, so I’ve learned to recognize the symptoms and be proactive. I prepare for the onslaught of self-doubt by writing down my motivations before hand. I go back and review them before each race and long run. This mental preparation is essential in combating fatigue. I have learned to listen to my heart instead of my aching body.

Similarly, we must prepare ahead of time for periods of waning faith. On days when God seems distant, prayers go unanswered, progress is imperceptible, and fears are overwhelming--the natural urge is to stop trusting. Instead of listening to our doubting minds, we need to push forward under the power of the Spirit. This takes premeditated effort. Learn to soak in the presence of God. Don’t wait until you are weary and listless. Read, study, sing, meditate, listen, write, and worship. Fill up with grace and mercy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment