streams

streams

Monday, December 30, 2019

Blooms in the Desert

“The desert will rejoice, and flowers will bloom in the wastelands.” (Isaiah 35:1 GNT)
During a dark season in my life, a friend gave me a copy of Streams in the Desert, the classic devotional written by L. B. Cowman. This little book has had a profound influence on my life. It taught me to seek God, even when everything seemed hopeless. 
Desert plants make adaptations to survive in harsh conditions. They grow extremely long roots to reach underground water tables. They learn to manufacture food in the dark. Their leaves are coated to prevent water loss through evaporation. They shed all that is not essential. 
In desert periods, streams of grace sustained me. I learned to grow deep roots that tapped into invisible reservoirs. In the dark, at the end of my sufficiency, I sensed God’s presence. Anointed by His Spirit, I was protected from dissipation. I discovered the value of shedding all that was not essential. Now, decades later, there are blooms in the desert. What once seemed like a wasteland is now flourishing. An underground river of peace has brought forth growth in unpredictable spaces. This peace is not merely due to favorable circumstances, but originates from a deeper place. Like blooms in the desert, I draw my strength from unfathomable resources. I have learned to depend on Christ. 


No comments:

Post a Comment