streams

streams

Friday, December 27, 2019

Christian Meditation

“And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.” (Luke 2:7 KJV)
We are all familiar with the story of the nativity--the newborn Jesus in a manger surrounded by Mary, Joseph, a few shepherds and various farm animals. Why was Jesus out in the barn? There was no room for HIM at the inn. 
During the season of Advent, I try to clear up the clutter in my life and make space for Jesus. This year, I decided to practice meditation as a way to prepare for Christmas. I found a quiet place, turned on a timer, and tried to empty my mind. My first few attempts felt unproductive. I was more agitated after each session than before I started. After several days of frustration, I tried a different approach. 
“Then I remembered the worship songs I used to sing in the night seasons, and my heart began to fill again with thoughts of you. So my spirit went out once more in search of you.” (Psalm 77:6 VOICE)
I started meditating on verses from the Bible. I repeated them quietly to myself.  Random worship songs streamed through my soul. Silently, I sang. My spirit searched for God. Questions, praise, gratitude, and prayer were offered as they came up. Instead of emptying my mind, I let the Holy Spirit take over. Barriers were demolished. Attitudes got remodeled. Perspectives shifted. My heart began to fill again with Christ. I realized that I didn’t have to set a timer for meditating this way. I could dwell in the Lord’s presence and contemplate on His goodness all day long. 


No comments:

Post a Comment