streams

streams

Monday, December 9, 2019

Generic Brands

“I didn’t want some petty, inferior brand of righteousness that comes from keeping a list of rules when I could get the robust kind that comes from trusting Christ—God’s righteousness.” (Philippians 3:9 MSG)

Saving money is one of my favorite games. I find that many store brands are of the same quality as the national brands. When shopping for groceries, there are two factors that sway my choice: cost and familiarity. Once I become familiar with a store brand, I will buy it even when the national brand is on sale for the same price. 

Making and checking off lists is another favorite activity of mine. I like the feeling of order that comes with keeping a list of rules. I was raised in a religious environment of church services, Christian social events, scripture reading, religious education, prayers before meals, fasting, tithing, and volunteering. Rituals and regulations are very familiar to me. 

Going along with organized religion is easier than figuring out faith on your own. We prefer what is familiar and manageable. The cost of knowing God personally is high. Thus, many of us buy into the inferior brand of righteousness that comes from keeping a list of rules instead of trusting Christ. Genuine faith and righteousness come from experiencing God--who is neither generic nor manageable.

No comments:

Post a Comment