streams

streams

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Contentment

“I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.” (Philippians 4:11 NLT)

Do you wish to have more or desire less?

There was a time in my life when I was driven by wanting more of everything pleasurable. I observed those who were wealthy, successful, beautiful, healthy, and popular. While others aspired to be like them, I did not. They seemed to have everything...but not what I craved.  I realized that satisfaction is temporary when you are constantly striving for more. I found myself drawn to contentment.

Contentment is not achieved by having everything you want, but by being satisfied with who you are and what you have. It does not come naturally to most of us; it is a learned behavior. In a world where having more is the measure of success, training yourself to desire less seems countercultural. St. Paul, when he penned these verses, had experienced imprisonment, poverty, hunger, torture, humiliation, and illness. His was not a life of autonomy, self-sufficiency, and ease. He had learned to be content in every situation by leaning on the sufficiency of Christ. 

“I can be content in any and every situation through the Anointed One who is my power and strength.” (Philippians 4:13 VOICE)

No comments:

Post a Comment