streams

streams

Friday, February 14, 2020

Doing Less

“A soldier on active duty wants to please his commanding officer and so does not get mixed up in the affairs of civilian life.” (2 Timothy 2:4 GNB)

When I was pregnant, I gained weight so fast that it prompted my obstetrician to ask me what I had been eating. I assured him that I had been eating only healthy food. He suggested I eat less of it! 

My days are filled with the hustle and bustle of interesting activities, productive projects, and opportunities to serve.  I enjoy feeling useful, so I rarely refuse to participate in good causes. Once I commit to something, especially if it involves others, I make space for it. This means that many other things that are important to me get squished into smaller, inconvenient slots. 

Open-ended time with God is a luxury that I prize. A full day--where I can be still, listen, follow the guidance of the Spirit, write, and pray--is a rare commodity. My desire to feel useful and productive leads me into energy-consuming entanglements. Distractions further drain my time. I forget that I am an active soldier. I have been commissioned to serve Christ. I need to be careful not to get mixed up in the affairs of civilian life. I am already committed to a job far more significant. I have to remain dedicated, undistracted, and steadfast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment