streams

streams

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Encouraging the Discouraged

“We sent him to strengthen you, to encourage you in your faith.” (1 Thessalonians 3:2 NLT) 

Courage enables us to face difficulties bravely. Despondency saps our spirits, depriving us of hope. What are the usual ways we try to encourage those who are discouraged? We remind them of their strengths, offer them our support, and assure them of future success. Basically, we tell them some version of: “You are good; you can do it.” During times of personal discouragement, we try similar tactics of positive self-talk to pump ourselves up. This temporary boost can keep us afloat for a while. Yet, it’s like replacing a flat tire with a miniature spare--it is inefficient in the long-term. 

“Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again—my Savior and my God!” (Psalm 42:11 NLT)

Praising God is far more effective at inspiring a dispirited individual than personal affirmations. Remember that God is good, dependable, capable, faithful, caring, available, strengthening, sovereign, all-knowing, understanding, compassionate. We are all called to be cheerleaders of faith, reviving spirits, empowering the weak, emboldening the hopeless. Thus, let us continually strengthen and encourage each other with exhortations of praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment