streams

streams

Monday, February 3, 2020

Spiritual Somnolence

“Arise, you sleeper! Rise up from the dead and the Anointed One will shine his light into you!” (Ephesians 5:14 TPT)

Coffee is an integral part of my morning ritual. I cradle the warm cup in my hands while I wait for the caffeine to kick in. I can feel my mind waking up. The lights turn on, the windows are open, and fresh insights stream in. On the rare days that I skip this routine, I tend to remain drowsy and get headaches later in the day. I have learned not to make any major decisions or plans before my first cup of coffee. 

I have another morning ritual that is even more significant: I ask God’s Spirit to stream through me, to get me ready to do His will. I wait for His guidance. I pray for attentiveness, courage, and strength. On the days that I skip this practice, I can sense a spiritual somnolence. I remain unaware, distracted, busy--but achieving nothing of enduring value. Thus, I have learned not to make any plans or do any tasks until I have submitted myself to the Lord. 

“How enduring is God’s loyal love; the Eternal has inexhaustible compassion. Here they are, every morning, new! Your faithfulness, God, is as broad as the day. Have courage, for the Eternal is all that I will need. My soul boasts, ‘Hope in God; just wait.’” (Lamentations 3:22-24 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment