streams

streams

Thursday, November 19, 2020

Gaining Back Weight


“To truly know him meant letting go of everything from my past and throwing all my boasting on the garbage heap.” (Philippians 3:8 TPT)

Losing weight is hard, but keeping the weight off is even harder. Most of us can manage to diet and exercise for a period of time and shed some pounds. We look good, feel great, and swear to never go back to our previous ways of doing things. However, our resolve weakens when we are stressed, tired, or bored. Depriving ourselves while everyone else seems to be enjoying whatever they want seems unfair. We slowly drift back to old habits, seeking comfort, acceptance, and pleasure. 

Over the past few months, I have shed some excess fat from my mind. Layers of pride, desire, ambition, thoughtlessness, and indulgence have fallen off. This period of unlearning and reevaluation has been transformative. I have let go of much of what I imagined to be important in the past.  However, I am afraid that these changes will not last. I worry that I will go back to my previous habits and gain back all the weight I have lost, repeating old patterns. 

Lord, you have done such good work in me. Please don’t let me backslide to my previous mindset. When I am stressed, tired, or bored--nourish me with Your Spirit. Teach me to continually offer myself into your care. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment