streams

streams

Friday, June 24, 2022

No Substitutes


I myself will tend my sheep and give them a place to lie down in peace, says the Sovereign Lord. I will search for my lost ones who strayed away, and I will bring them safely home again. I will bandage the injured and strengthen the weak.” (Ezekiel 34:15-16 NLT)

When a teacher is absent, a substitute is often assigned to manage the class. Substitute teachers rarely make progress with students. Their role is temporary. They are not around long enough to bond or invest in the kids. In turn, the students may not respect or listen to substitute teachers. Consequently, not much learning happens. 

I often pray for good mentors to come into my life and into the lives of my loved ones. I imagine that positive role models can help us grow. I forget that human mentors are like substitute teachers. They cannot invest themselves in others the way that God does. And we rarely listen to them unless they say what we want to hear anyway. Consequently, not much learning happens. 

God has promised to guide, provide, and protect us Himself. He Himself will rescue the lost and bring back those who have strayed. The Lord will heal the injured and strengthen the weak...Himself. He may use other humans as tools, but He does all the work.

“The Spirit alone gives eternal life. Human effort accomplishes nothing. And the very words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.” (John 6:63 NLT)


No comments:

Post a Comment