streams

streams

Friday, June 10, 2022

The Simplest Prayer

“Whoever calls, ‘Help, God!’ gets help.” (Joel 2:32 MSG)

I’ve been studying the topic of prayer for a while. There are numerous books on the subject which include elaborate prayers. Scripture encourages us to pray unceasingly. Thus, I attempt to keep constant communication with God. I write out scripture verses in the form of petitions and have a daily prayer routine. 

All this might sound wonderful, but I must confess that my motives are not so pure. I am hoping to convince God to make my life more pleasant. My prayers are often centered on worldly concerns. Along with long petitions, I attempt to direct God in how to make things better. It is not as much ‘Thy will be done” as my will be done. 

“It is not mine to direct His counsels. I am His servant, not His solicitor. I call upon Him, and He will deliver.” (C.H. Spurgeon)

I must remember that God knows how to handle every situation. He doesn’t need my advice. I am His servant, not His solicitor. It is not my place to give Him directions. All I have to do is call upon the Lord trustingly, and He will rescue me. I don’t have to prove that I am worthy. Scripture says ‘whoever calls’ and that includes me. I don’t need to have long, complicated prayers. I can call out: “Help, God.” He shall hear my cry. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment