streams

streams

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Ambivert

I’ve taken several personality tests to see where I fall on the extrovert-introvert spectrum. I’m talkative, energetic, assertive, and expressive. I initiate eye contact, conversation, and friendships easily. Although I’m comfortable around people and enjoy spending time with close friends, I detest large groups, parties, and big cities. I find it easier to connect with people on a one-on-one basis. I dislike superficial chit-chat. However, if I have an opinion, I’m likely to express it even if it causes conflict. I don’t think before I speak; instead, I process my thoughts as I’m speaking or writing. My favorite activities are reading, thinking, writing, and being in nature. I’ve been told I’m overly analytical and risk-averse. I don’t like to multi-task, preferring to focus on one thing at a time.

I am what psychologists call an ambivert--one whose personality type is intermediate between extrovert and introvert. I prefer to think of myself as a deep-thinking extrovert, which sounds like an oxymoron. I like being around people, as long as it stimulates introspection. I find it mentally stimulating to discuss ideas with others and seek input from their life experiences. I also need daily quiet times of reflection to contemplate all that I’ve gathered and make sense of it.

This desire--to communicate with authentic, sincere people for part of the day and then retreat and be alone with my own thoughts-- is confusing to many of my friends and family members. For their sake, I wish I could be more of an introvert, to be a better listener, to not inundate them with my thoughts. I may not fit neatly into either the extrovert or introvert personality type, but I have come to accept this dichotomous contradiction within me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susanna, I feel just the same as you. I am an ambivert who enjoys deep conversation with people that inspires ideas and enrich my life. I also dislike superficial small talks. But now I'm so upset by the fact that each time when I have to go to large parties, I feel very uneasy and just stand alone in the corner. This makes me dislike myself and feel so lonely, even desperate some time. How do you deal with situations like large parties full of small talks and strange people enjoying themselves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I avoid large groups as much as I can these days. However, when I have to attend these functions, I try to have one-on-one conversations as much as possible. I still feel like an alien from another planet, observing rather than participating. I also wrote a few posts in April of 2012,about this subject. I think you might like them. Here is the direct link to one of them: http://susannapeters.blogspot.com/2012/04/side-by-side-play.html
      The two posts before 'side-by-side play' are also related to this subject--Fibrous Friends, and Emotional Constipation. I wrote them all after having to deal with a week of large gatherings.
      Hope this helps. Thanks.
      nsp

      Delete