streams

streams

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My Achilles Knee

You might have heard of Achilles heels, but I have an Achilles knee! I’ve had knee issues for the last decade. My affinity for running puts pressure on my knees. I realize that this weak part of me needs special attention and care. I stretch it and try to back off from doing most exercises that involve jerky movements. I know my running years are limited, but I feel the urge to do it while I still can.

The term ‘Achilles heel’, which originated from Greek mythology, is used to describe a person’s biggest weakness that can potentially lead to downfall. Achilles, a great warrior, was known for being invulnerable except for a small spot on his heel. Legend has it that his mother held him by his heel as she dipped him in the River Styx, thus making him invulnerable except for his heel.

Identifying one’s fatal flaws requires quiet reflection and a great deal of self-awareness. What causes me to crumble? I have many pernicious weaknesses, but I will mention just one as an example. When my family is threatened, I come undone. It doesn’t even have to be real; just a perceived threat is enough. At first glance, this might seem like a strength (devotion to family) disguised as a weakness. Yet, my anxiety over every crisis tends to expose my family to further pain. My aversion to risk prevents my family from living fully. When I become overwhelmed and unstable, it saps their courage as well.

Once I’ve identified a toxic flaw, I have to pay special attention to it. How can I shield myself and my family from my weaknesses?

Sometimes it’s easier to analyze smaller problems and apply the solutions to bigger problems. So, let’s look at my weak knees as an example. I could ignore my knee issues and pretend there is no problem. I can protect and shield my knee against injury by minimizing risky movements. I could wear a knee support brace. I could do stretching and strengthening exercises.
 
For years, I’ve dealt with my flaws by just ignoring them. I’ve made excuses like: That’s just the way I am. OR, I’m not as bad as so-and-so. Once I admit that my flaw is a serious problem, I try to minimize exposure to situations that exacerbate my handicap. I seek out people who might be strong in the area of my frailty--people who can support and brace me so that I don’t fall. Finally, I gently stretch myself in order to strengthen my weak side. I stay continuously on guard, because I know I will always be vulnerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment