streams

streams

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

What I Want

What are we looking for? What do we really want?

Some might say: I want financial success, a nice house, an important job, beauty, health, a good marriage, and good relationships. I want my children to be successful; I want to travel; I want to have fun and enjoy life.

Others might distill the above desires down further: a desire for validation, admiration, happiness, excitement, comfort, love, freedom from pain and suffering, peace.

Yet, is this the purest form of what we are really seeking?  I don’t think so. I suspect that we will not find satisfaction until we become one with God.

The following analogy by Dallas Willard hints at this truth:

“I was raised in southern Missouri where the land is mineral poor. Cows and sheep there will find piles of junk or refuse out in the fields or woods and eat old dry-cell batteries and rusty wire and nails to get the minerals that they need, and they die of it. The hunger for spiritual depth that we see manifested across our culture becomes a threat to a meaningful and practically effective understanding of spiritual formation as it should be presented by followers of Christ. And this threat has several forms.” (Dallas Willard)

Just like those poor cows who try to meet their needs by eating batteries, we find deadly substitutes to fill our deepest spiritual longings. We rummage through junk, not realizing the harm we are causing to ourselves. We spend our entire lives seeking validation, happiness, love, comfort, relief, and peace. Yet, we remain discontent.
I still haven’t found what I’m looking for…(song by U2)

Link to song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnD6ojjA0OA

No comments:

Post a Comment